Gazpacho, a treat full of vitamins, is a mix of raw vegetables served cold, very common in southern Spain (Andalusia). This delicious dish is very refreshing in summer, with croutons, diced cheese… and can be the basis of a light dinner.
Originally, gazpacho is the meal of the peasants of Andalusia during their working day. They took away the dry bread of the day before and made a consistent soup made from bread crushed in water with oil, garlic, vinegar, and sometimes dried fruit.
The original color of white became red when the tomato became known in Andalusia in the 16th century. The name gazpacho, of Arabic origin, means soaked bread.
The traditional Andalusian gazpacho consists of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and onions. By extension, gazpacho is a cold soup of mixed raw vegetables: we can play with the flavors and colors that offer vegetables to obtain an infinite range of combinations.
Gazpacho is very easy and simple to make, the only necessary condition is to own a blender (or a mortar, like the traditional recipe). Here are some tips to have a delicious Gazpacho :
- Use Roma tomatoes or medium round tomatoes.
- You can scoop out the tomato seeds.
- Wheat bread is the key to the texture of an authentic Gazpacho, helping thickens it slightly.
- Cherry vinegar (Xérès) is standard in Gazpacho, but if you can’t find it, you can substitute it with red wine vinegar.
- If the gazpacho is too thick, add a little water.
- You can add the following toppings for serving: fresh herbs (basilic, parsley, chives,…), olive oil, cream, croutons, leftover ingredients, …
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1 kg tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 75 g wheat bread
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Soak the slices of bread into water and reserve for blending.
- To prepare the veggies, prepare a blender bowl.Peel and slice the cucumber into rough 1inch (2.5cm) chunks, and add them to the blender.Slice the red and green bell peppers into rough 1inch (2.5cm) chunks and place them into the blender bowl.Cut the small red onion and garlic cloves.Cut the tomatoes into quarters and place them into the blender bowl.Blend the veggies.
- Add soaked bread to the blended veggies.Add the sherry vinegar and olive oil.Season well with salt and pepper.Securely fasten the lid and blend, until the mixture is completely smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Chill the soup for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.Stir the gazpacho taste again and adjust the seasoning.Serve gazpacho with basils, olive oil, and remaining ingredients, ….