Pumpkin jam is an easy treat to try for the autumn. This version has a refreshing hint of quince, and it works really well with the pumpkin flavour. You can use this jam to make tarts, pies, pancakes, … or simply spread it on a toast for the breakfast!!!
Have you ever tried pumpkin jam? If not you should definitely try it… At first, you would think that it would taste odd? After trying it, I can assure you that you’ll find it absolutely delicious!
This pumpkin jam recipe is an old family recipe but like all older recipes, it is quite simple, uncomplicated, and delicious. Generally, we couple the pumpkin with oranges, or even apples but this time we’ve tried it with quince since it goes well with the pumpkin flavor.
You don’t have to buy a whole pumpkin to try it, you can use any leftover pumpkin or even canned pumpkin.
For the amount of sugar, the standard for making jam is to use equal parts of sugar and fruit. We have reduced the quantity slightly but we don’t recommend reducing more than that since the sugar isn’t only a sweetener, it also acts as a preservative. This is why jams last for months. This Pumpkin jam will keep for up to 3 months stored in the refrigerator. If you want to preserve it longer, place the jam in sterilized jars and seal once cooled.
If you don’t want to puree the jam, you can skip the blending step but think to dice the pumpkin in a smaller size (about 0.5 in / 1 cm).
Finally, you can also personalize the flavor to your liking by adding cloves, vanilla, ginger,…
- 1.5 kg pumpkin
- 1.25 kg sugar
- 1 quince
- 2 lime juice
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Peel and dice the pumpkin.Juice the lime.Peel and dice the quince, then transfer it to a bowl with the lime juice.Add the quince to the diced pumpkin.
- Layer pumpkin with sugar in a medium saucepan.Cover and let stand overnight or at least 8 hours.
- To the pumpkin saucepan, add the star anise and cinnamon stick.Bring to a boil over high heat, then boil it for 10 minutes.Reduce the heat and cook on a slow boil for about 30-60 minutes, stirring constantly and removing the foam.Turn off the heat when the jam thickens and holds its shape.
- Remove the star anise and cinnamon.With a hand chopper, blend the cooked jam (optional).Transfer to sterilized jars.Enjoy !!!